On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> You've opened my eyes to possibilities with Finder I didn't know about, that
> if I'd known about I might not have gone looking for a replacement. Also my
> mind to the possibility that it's far more versatile than I realized.
>
> That said, I find it interesting that it's been extremely easy for me to
> discover and use Path Finder's features, whereas with Finder they remained
> hidden. I don't know if there's a manual for Path Finder, if there is I never
> read it. Have hardly ever even used help. And I think I posted to its support
> forum only once.
>
> I agree Path Finder may be cluttered up with features that few use. With a
> little instruction I might even come to prefer Finder's more zen-like
> approach compared to Path Finder's clutter. But I would need some instruction
> to get me started.

I'm glad to help.

The hallmark of the Finder, like most Apple software, is that it is
subtle. Most Apple software is subtle in that most people can easily
figure out the basics and get most of what they need done without
looking at or reading a manual. And most Apple software is much deeper
than that surface appearance and takes a some study to unlock and
understand all the things that it can do. The reason for this design
is to decrease visual noise and make the operating system basics easy
to remember for people who prefer to concentrate on their work rather
than on operating the computer ... a sparse minimalism with broad
functionality. It's the Apple corporate aesthetic.

I happen to like it. That's why I the Apple Macintosh in 1984, and why
I continue to use Mac OS X systems now.

People write books like "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" to expose
verbosely what the system can do for people who can't discover it on
their own. Nothing wrong with that. Others write more explicitly
verbose applications to do things that the provided system already
does, like Path Finder.

But most of what's in books like "The Missing Manual" is already
documented in the Mac OS X Help system ... just like most of what's in
Path Finder  is already in the Finder and the other tools built into
the system ... but most people never look into the help system for
help.

Just like few ever read the manuals that come with their cameras... to
return this back to a photographic footing. ;-)
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com