"J. C. O'Connell" wrote:

> Youve got to be kidding : Bullshit! ( pardon my language)
> The more image pixels, the higher the resolution of the total image.

Yes, but you can only display so many on a monitor. For printing, hi-res is a
benefit. For viewing on a given monitor, more pixels only serve to make the
image larger.

> When I scan an 8X10 at 300ppi I end up with a beautiful
> 2400X3000 pixel image. Yes, and at 100% you can't see all of it on a monitor.

> But when I resize it to 480X600
> all of the fine detail is lost and the diagonals get
> all jagged.

If you're doing it right,, keeping it at 72ppi, and viewing it at 100%, you
shouldn't see jagged diagonals on a monitor. On a print, yes. On a monitor, no.

> Why do you think all the digital cameras are
> going to more and more Mpixels? Because it raises the overall resolution of
> the image.

For printing. For web viewing, it's inconsequential.

> > The PUG size is adequate for
> > general viewing,
>
> I strongly disagree. 600 pixel max is even less than
> VGA resolution (640 by 480 ) which went out of style
> about 10 YEARS ago.

And on a 640 by 480 monitor, a 600 pixel image would almost fill the screen. On
a current 1280 x 960 display, it's about the size of a 4 x 6 mini lab print.
Not ideal, but adequate for viewing.

> > and I find my 6x7 scans are noticeably better than
> > 35mm, even at this low resolution. I'll send you a 600 x 400 point jpeg
> > that was scanned from a 6x7 color neg if you'd like to see it. It "pops"
> > rather well.
>
> I dont care how much it "pops" at 600X400, it would look MUCH
> better at say 1280 X 960. Not just "bigger" but much more
> DETAIL.

Well, I scanned it at 4000 ppi, which yielded a 9848 x 7128 image after
cropping (about 250 meg). That's the one I print from. For the web, I resized
it to 600x400 points at 72 ppi, letting PhotoShop resample it. If I view the
small jpeg at 100%, and the huge 200 meg tiff file at 6%, they're the same size
on my screen. And you know what? to the naked eye, they're identical. No,
that's not quite true. The small file actualy looks a little better, because
the huge file generates some noise on horizontal lines. Of course, the huge
file makes a magnificent 11 x 14 print on my Epson 1200. The little file will
show all kinds of pixelation when printed. In other words, on a monitor, it
don't make a damn bit of difference. No bullshit. Just fact.

> > Most of the scans that look bad on the PUG are bad scans.
> > They're not too small.
> > Paul
> >

> Once again I disagree. They are too small. They dont
> even aproach what 35mm can do let alone 6X7. They
> might be fine if we were shooting with pentax 110 cameras
> but were not.

They're bad scans. They're not too small. Check out Shel's flag and barbed wire
fence he just posted. I'm sure that's not a very big file. I don't think it's
even 600 x 400. But viewed on a monitor at the size he chose, it's crisp and
brilliant. The monitor is the limiting factor, not the size of the scan.