I opened a tiff and then saved it as a bmp. The bmp was the same size on disk
as the tiff. The only possible downside is that it's windows specific, whereas
tiff is a more universal format. But if it's handy for you for printing, it
should be fine. Of course you have to use jpeg compression for web images.
Paul