On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Thibouille <pentaxl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/11/7 Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com>:
>> On 11/6/2010 4:32 PM, Thibouille wrote:
>>>
>>> As for Mpix, I'm sorry but this is laughable seeing the little
>>> difference. Or why would Nikon guys pay for D700/D3s 'crappy' little
>>> 12Mpix sensor.
>>> As for DR, the 7D is bye bye. Oh, D700 is also. Damn. And that 60D
>>> is... well almost a toy.
>>> K5 sealing is better, fps is almost tie (7fps vs 8 fps), High ISOs are
>>> better on K5.
>>
>> Thibs, you cannot mount Nikon lens on Canon body. You cannot mount a Pentax
>> lens on Nikon body, etc. So, if one is shooting Nikon system, the wonders of
>> K-5 are irrelevant. If one is having lots of K-mount lenses, the 7D's video
>> advantages are irrelevant... And so on.
>
> I don't think so. It is relevant because people are subject to change
> system. A lot of people changed system because of sensors specs (two
> other usual would be lenses and AF performance). We're talking bodies,
> not systems.
>
>> Seems you have forgotten few smilies here too.
>
> No, I'm just playing Adam's game. He doesn't use any. probably because
> he's serious.
>
>> Boris

Part serious, part in jest. Some of the things I listed matter in the
real world, other's just matter in the marketting. Some only matter in
certain situations. But as a practical matter things like a 1/250th
flash sync, wireless multigroup flash, fast high-pointcount AF units,
video capability and fps do matter when pricing. The K-5 is a superb
camera, but it simply doesn't have the specs to list at a comparable
price to the 7D. At its actual list price it's quite compelling and
for my personal use a far more interesting camera (body IS and high
ISO matter to me, I don't care about more than 4fps, video or flash
and my only care about AF is decent low-light performance).

Note I've been in and out of all of the systems discussed here over
the last 5 years. 'Investment' in a system is a big deal when you have
$10k plus in glass. When you've got $2k in glass it's quite different,
especially when you'll make a large fraction of that back in resale.
Vendor lockin to a system is far overblown as a reason to not switch
unless you have a lens collection like William Robb's. A basic system
that's fully capable (say 2-3 zooms and a fast prime or two) is
eminently open to switching.

-Adam