The problem comes when using these lenses wide open, as the original
poster is interested in doing.  Very few SLR lenses are sharp across the
entire image area at wide apertures, and light falloff can sometimes be
quite noticeable.  What's the sense of paying for fast glass if the
first couple of apertures don't yield good results.  Of course, if one's
only interested in the center portion of the frame, one may argue that
the results are acceptable.

For example, there's a very thorough test of the A28/2.0 by Joachim Hein

http://phred.org/pentax/lensgal/a28_2/a28_2.html

and the quality of the images are clearly inferior until f5.6 is
reached.

Some of Fred Wasti's tests confirm the generalization re: light falloff
and sharpness of even some "legendary lenses" from Pentax.  I've seen
similar results from Zeiss, Tokina, Nikon, and Zuiko glass.

If your objective is just to capture an image in low light, all these
lenses will work, and will get you through times of darkness better than
slower lenses. But, if the objective is to capture a high quality image,
then these lenses may well be dismal failures at wider apertures.

All lenses, even Leica lenses, suffer from lower quality at wide
apertures, but recent Leica glass suffers less than any SLR lenses I've
come across.  This means that, although expensive, you actually get more
of what you're paying for, as the lenses are more useable when used wide
open.  Of course, there are some dogs in the Leica kennel as well <g>.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]