Firstly, thank-you all very much for the advice and
very helpful information you have offered.

My _tentative_ choice of 50mm f1.4 A over M is based
solely on my interpretation of Mr Yoshihiko statement:
         --------------------------------
"Yoshihiko - "A" is not optically identical to "M".

The optical design of Pentax 50/1.4 lens was slightly
changed mainly for better resolution in corners, I
heard, when A50/1.4 was introduced. That means there
are two different optics in Pentax 50/1.4 lenses; one
is "K" and "M", the other is "A", "F" and "FA". My own
experiences support it. My lens resolution test result
also seems to prove it . . .

I would prefer "A" to "M" based on my own experiences
of the two 50/1.4 optics. Just my opinion."
      --------------------------------------
Mr Yoshihiko's resolution tests clearly favor the Fa
over the K versions of 50mm f1.4 lenses. Assuming the
accuracy of the above statements, this would also
apply to the A and M versions as well. Frederick
Wasti's tests would appear to back this up as well.
And I should point out that my main goal here is wide
aperture performance.

As for the Voigtlander lenses, I am certain that
Cosina has made some great lenses in the new
Voigtlander lineup. But I have serious doubts about
the long term reliability of the Bessa R body and I am
concerned about the accuracy of it's short base
rangefinder. I think I would prefer to by a well worn
Leica M5, if it comes to that. I am keeping my eye on
that new Bessa T however.
http://mail.yahoo.com