On 18 May 2011 13:26, Godfrey DiGiorgi <gdigio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's just different to what I was once used to, to me, not
> unenjoyable. The Olympus focus by wire is excellent and nets a good
> feel IMO with their better lenses.

Agreed! The best focus-by-wire I've used so far (out of Oly, Panny,
Sammy and Ricoh). It almost feels like a "real" lens.

> The Ricoh 28mm isn't quite so, but
> like with any very wide lens I either zone focus or use spot AF, which
> eliminates the problem. The 50mm I tried yesterday focuses very
> smoothly and precisely in manual mode.

Interesting... I wonder if I got a dud, because my 50mm lensor focus
ring is really stiff (unlike the 28mm). And it takes a gazillion turns
(approximately) to focus from 0.3m to 3m...or it takes just a 1/4
turn, depending on how the camera is feeling at that moment. Is that
normal, Godfrey? Then there's the issue with the magnification aid for
manual focus; it's terrible! Way too muddy to be easily used. With all
of this in hand, I've given up on manual focus, relying instead on
Spot Focus, Multi Focus, and Snap Focus (what a fracking good idea
that is, by the way)--happily, these work well enough, though AF isn't
as snappy as Panasonic's.

> Of course these subtlties of feel and preference are very personal.
> Feeling as you do, I might just say heck with it and wait for another
> R-D1 to come available. Or go for the gusto and wait until I can
> afford an M8.2 or M9. Might take a while, but that's not forever...
> :-)

Patience is a virtue, Godfrey.

> I blew my budget today and ordered a Skopar 50mm f/2.5 in anticipation
> of the M lens module coming up this Fall, so I'll have that manual
> focus feel with the GXR too. Can always get a nice wide or normal M
> lens too ... 15, 21, 24, 25, 28, 35, 40, etc are all easily available.

The one thing I'm dying to do with the GXR is mount the 77mm Ltd on
it. Ain't gonna happen, though.

In a previous message you said:

> Frankly, I dont care one wit if only two other people discover the GXR ..

The problem with that is Ricoh won't develop the system further unless
they have enough users, so you *should* want more than two people to
discover the system. Unless you're one of those teenagers who stops
liking a band once he's not the only one in highschool that listens to
it  :-p

Cheers,

   —M.

    \/\/o/\/\ --> http://WorldOfMiserere.com