On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Miserere <miser...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The Ricoh 28mm isn't quite so, but
>> like with any very wide lens I either zone focus or use spot AF, which
>> eliminates the problem. The 50mm I tried yesterday focuses very
>> smoothly and precisely in manual mode.
>
> Interesting... I wonder if I got a dud, because my 50mm lensor focus
> ring is really stiff (unlike the 28mm). And it takes a gazillion turns
> (approximately) to focus from 0.3m to 3m...or it takes just a 1/4
> turn, depending on how the camera is feeling at that moment. Is that
> normal, Godfrey?

The manual focus speed on the GXR steps depending on how your work it
... Hold the Macro button down while you turn the ring and it runs
about 3x faster from one position to the next.

I have only played with the one at the store so far. I liked the
smooth resistance of the focusing ring, stiff but fluid. I don't know
if they vary much between camera modules.

> ... Then there's the issue with the magnification aid for
> manual focus; it's terrible! Way too muddy to be easily used. With all
> of this in hand, I've given up on manual focus, relying instead on
> Spot Focus, Multi Focus, and Snap Focus (what a fracking good idea
> that is, by the way)--happily, these work well enough, though AF isn't
> as snappy as Panasonic's.

The focus assist magnification is best to my eye at 4x (quick tip:
hold down the self timer button for a second and you can pop between
2x, 4x and 8x with the control dial or up/down buttons, even with the
magnification live). It works better with the 50mm than it does with
the 28mm camera module, and better still with the EVF vs the LCD.

Using the 28mm EFL lens, manual focusing is always going to touchy ...
it *is* an 18.3mm lens optically, even with an APS-C sensor that's a
short focal length with a lot of DoF ... so I use Spot AF and then
toggle to MF to lock it for repeated shots, or use Snap focus for a
fast shot. (Another quick tip: Hold down the Macro button and roll the
control dial for a quick way to adjust the Snap pre-set focus
distance.)

Panasonic and Olympus AF systems are faster, yes. I haven't found it
an issue given how I use the GXR.

> Patience is a virtue, Godfrey.

I'm a very patient person. And I've already got dibs on Bob's M8
assuming I win the wrestling match with Cotty ... ]'-)

>> Frankly, I dont care one wit if only two other people discover the GXR ..
>
> The problem with that is Ricoh won't develop the system further unless
> they have enough users, so you *should* want more than two people to
> discover the system.

I don't really care how much more Ricoh develops the system, to be
honest. With the A12 28 and 50 mm EFL lenses it works very well just
as is. Add the upcoming M-lens expansion module that's already been
announced (my pre-order is already in...) and I'll be able to do
anything I intend to with it. It's not a replacement for a full SLR
system, and even with that I only use a few lenses anyway. The basic
body and existing four camera modules go a long way just as they are.

One doesn't need every camera to do every possible job. This one is
doing very nicely for what I bought it to do...
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com