It's just different to what I was once used to, to me, not
unenjoyable. The Olympus focus by wire is excellent and nets a good
feel IMO with their better lenses. The Ricoh 28mm isn't quite so, but
like with any very wide lens I either zone focus or use spot AF, which
eliminates the problem. The 50mm I tried yesterday focuses very
smoothly and precisely in manual mode.

Of course these subtlties of feel and preference are very personal.
Feeling as you do, I might just say heck with it and wait for another
R-D1 to come available. Or go for the gusto and wait until I can
afford an M8.2 or M9. Might take a while, but that's not forever...
:-)

I blew my budget today and ordered a Skopar 50mm f/2.5 in anticipation
of the M lens module coming up this Fall, so I'll have that manual
focus feel with the GXR too. Can always get a nice wide or normal M
lens too ... 15, 21, 24, 25, 28, 35, 40, etc are all easily available.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com