On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Godfrey,
> You've gone thru 3 times as much gear as anyone here.
> I know you sell off what you no longer like, but that's still expensive.
> Most of us don't have the resources to sell off one system in favor of
> our latest fancy.
> Regards,  Bob S.

The value of the gear is obtained from its use. It is not an
investment, nor does it have permanent value. I don't have a huge
amount of money, nor do I collect a lot of expensive gear just to
enjoy the privilege of owning it. I am not a collector.

Most of what I've "gone through" has been used to do as much
photography as I planned to do with it. And on resale, it has returned
75-90% of the price I paid when I sold it, because I keep it in as
good condition as I can. I turn equipment over reasonably quickly to
keep the resale price up through it still being reasonably current.
Some of the equipment has appreciated in price and returned more than
what it cost me. I do my best to buy and sell at favorable prices, buy
only what I plan to use, and use it to the best of my ability.
Whatever the differential is becomes the cost of doing business. Or
the cost of doing Photography, if you will. Photography is what I love
to do and is what I spend what discretionary (and business) money I
might have on.

Surely this is not unreasonable?

I do not consider any company to "owe" me anything beyond the
equipment itself and the warranty service provided by a purchase. I
have signed no contract with any company by purchasing their equipment
that indebts them on my behalf.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com