Christine Nielsen wrote:

So... I've been thinking more & more about stepping up to the k-5
recently.  In the interests of research, I wandered over to Pentax
Forums, just to see if there was any buzz, any good gossip, that might
influence my decision, or at least, timing.

Well, I think that was a mistake.

Down the rabbit-hole I went, for more precious weekend hours than I
care to admit.  I got totally sucked in to the hand-wringing &
rumor-mongering & back and forthing over k-5 "issues".  And what about
the the k-5 vs d7000 vs d700?  Will there ever be a ff pentax
offering?  Will it be mirrorless?  What will ricoh do?  Is there a
roadmap?  New products this fall?  Maybe in Feb, then?  How about fall
2012?  Should we wait?  Should we buy?  Should we sell it all & move
to nikon?  Can I get Hello Kitty on my next camera????

I know this is nothing new, but it's really the first time I ever
waded in this far.  I think I may have PFOD'd.  And now, I can't get
rid of the anxiety. Tell me it's gonna be ok...

:)

My opinion:

1 - The K-5 is an excellent camera, probably the best available on the market at its price level. Consider switching only if you are prepared to spend a lot more for an outfit to build from scratch. 2 - I don't see the K-5 will be replaced soon. It was the biggest step ahead ever in terms of image quality done by Pentax and it's still ahead of the bunch on the market. For that reason, I expect incremental improvements in case of a next model. 3 - I believe Pentax won't make a FF DLSR anytime soon and perhaps they will never make one. If not, for the complexity and cost of restoring a FF lens offer from the desert they have made of it. 4 - I believe Pentax will have to make a 'serious' mirrorless (better sooner than later). By adding this new system to the current systems (Q, K-series and 645D) will bring Pentax to manage 4 camera systems. This will only strengthen my belief in point 3 above.
5 - You don't truly need another reason. Buy a K-5 and enjoy!

;-)

Dario