On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> I don't remember what you're shooting with now.

I've had a k-7 for two years now.  And while I've been pretty happy
with it, t's the the low light/hi ISO/better DR performance that's got
me longing for the k-5... Oh! And improved AF...

> Last January, I shot with a K-r for a week or so. It has addressed many of
> the usability issues of the K-x, and slightly improved performance. It might
> be the best price/performance bargain on the market.  A few months ago, I
> picked up my K-5, after 27,000 frames I'm still as happy as the day I got it.
> When I got the K-x the low light and high ISO performance blew me out of the
> water.  The performance of the K-5 makes the K-x performance seem
> disappointing. A couple months ago I was looking at photos I'd taken at the
> same event using both cameras and noticed how noisy the K-x photos seemed in
> comparison, and when the K-x came out it basically blew everything that came
> before out of the water.  I've done informal low-light side by sides of the
> K-5 with other cameras.  At high ISO it makes the Cannon D5mkII look like a
> K20.  Compared to a D700 at ISO3200, in relatively bright light the D700 was
> a little better, in really low light, the K-5 was noticeably better.
> Comparing with a D7000, which should be very close, in really low light, I
> got much better shots with my K-5 than I was able to with the Nikon.  I
> suspect that a lot of that has to do with in-body stabilization at f/1.8.

Yes, everything I've read compares the k-5 fairly favorably to the
5dmkII, and d700...  not on all counts, but enough to really make
doubt changing systems would be worth it.    I wouldn't change to a
different aps-c system at this point.