on 2011-11-22 00:50 Larry Colen wrote
What I think is a much more productive question to discuss, is what you are
doing, or have you done, to improve your own photography?

i think most important to me is that i choose subjects and revisit them dozens of times (e.g. shooting my garden and neighborhood for years); fascinating to look back and see how my perspective _and_ skills have evolved; i also deeply enjoy the process of setting out to see something new in the familiar

shooting the same subjects makes a nice feedback loop with developing an editing process

i almost always have a photo book checked out of the library, and i have several dozen quite varied photo books in my own library; i try to work through a whole book, often reading/looking during breakfast (Edward Weston's Daybooks were one of the most interesting); i also see a few photo exhibits each month — Denver is full of interesting art photographers

besides those, i do some of what you mentioned as examples, including a fair amount of technique practice — rapid manual focus, exposure estimation, handholding slow exposures, preset from the hip shots ...

and without rigidity, i do wind up using the same MF primes for long periods; at this point i usually keep AF off even with the lenses that support it; just recently got an adapter ring for my Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 and may not take it off the camera for a while, that lens is a joy to use ...