on 2012-05-20 21:50 Boris Liberman wrote
Although I know that you're a car enthusiast, Bob, I still think that cars can
be a valid analogy. If you live in NYC or Chicago or Tel Aviv for that matter,
do you really absolutely certainly need the likes of modern sports cars? Is
acceleration from 0 to 60 MPH in 5 sec going to be a decisive factor for you vs
the car that does so in 10 sec. In theory it may serve you well if you need to
accelerate to escape a predicament on the road (*). But in the big city such a
situation is possibly improbable anyway. The smaller, more frugal or less
polluting engine is an entirely different story, and even more so in the big
cities...

having recently sat in an Audi S3 while a friend did some rather dramatic driving in central Washington, DC, i think some people find an urban benefit for massive acceleration …

but most probably don't, and in that the analogy to cameras is probably apt

(*) It may be argued that if you get into such a situation or get close to it
every now and then, you better not to drive at all or drive a slow car so as to
force you to less aggressive driving.

in my friend's case, i worry for him and i do wish he drove a slower car