On May 19, 2012, at 1:55 AM, Tom C wrote:

> The real driver is $$$ which = survival. Some have pondered 'who needs
> a camera with more MP?'. No one truly NEEDS it.

[A bunch of reasonable argument snipped here.]

> If Pentax (or any other camera manufacturer) does not continue to
> innovate and generate new WANTS, what will happen to them?
>
> Tom C.
>
> (If a customer already has a ##MP camera, how many more ##MP cameras
> is the customer likely to purchase?)

When I went from Nikkormat to OM-1 to ME-Super to LX to PZ-1p to LX to MZ-S, I
never got an increase in MP for my money. But I bought anyway because I did get
an increase in metering reliability, improvements in focusing, ease of
handling, etc. I don't know off hand how many MP my K20D has, but I would not
hesitate to buy a newer model with the same MP if I could get better low-light
performance, particularly WRT AF.

I take the general point you and others are making: many/most purchasers don't
know what they are doing, and they will be overly impressed by whatever facts
and figures the advertisers and sales persons are throwing out. But the MP arms
race will peak soon, if it hasn't already.

stan