[...]
> I take the general point you and others are making: many/most
> purchasers don't know what they are doing, and they will be overly
> impressed by whatever facts and figures the advertisers and sales
> persons are throwing out. But the MP arms race will peak soon, if it
> hasn't already.
>
> stan

one of my brothers was rather scathing about my Leica because it doesn't
have as many megapixels as his phone. A lot of people don't seem to realise
that there are megapixels and there are mgeapixels. Mine are all first
cold-pressed extra virgin long-staple Egyptian tree-ripened, shade-grown,
free-range organic megapixels, whereas he got his from a bloke in Woolwich
Market.