On 29/05/2012 10:27 AM, Bob Sullivan wrote:
Bill,
Saw Chicago's Police Chief on TV.
He was at the whole NATO demonstration with a plan.
He pulled cops out of the line before they blew-up from the taunting.
He even stopped them from donning gas masks at one point.
(Somebody shouted GAS and the officers started to don masks.
He saw it and said NO, I DIDN'T ORDER THAT!)
Communications was a key.  Each officer had an earpiece radio.
And they practiced what to do with the protesters.
The new chief is from New York.
He showed two momentos from his professional life,
a rock thrown at him here with NATO and the license plate from his
destroyed patrol car on 9/11.

Everybody is approaching this like the police are rabid dogs.
Get a grip folks, I'm sure you know better than that.
The NATO protesters got outsmarted by a peaceful Chief
who smiled, protected property, and refused to get mad.
Quite a contrast to 1968...

Good for him, also quite a stark contrast to how many of the 1% protests were dealt with last year. Given the recent history of police actions in the face of public protest, the way the Chicago protest was handled is not the norm. I'm not sure why introducing a rock and a licence plate as souvenirs to the discussion is relevant.

--

William Robb