Tom,
The employment issue might be relevant.
You could wear a hat, sunglasses, and a hospital mask as a disguise,
but the goggles are teargas protection, maybe the bandanna as well.
I was in Chicago for the Democratic National Convention of '68.
I think these people wanted to recreate that atmosphere this year.
I praise the Chicago Police Department for being cool despite the taunting and
attempts to provoke them for media coverage.
This was a media event.
The Vietnam War protests were a different thing altogether.
Regards,  Bob S.