On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:27 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that the least expensive way to get wide angles and high image
> quality is to stitch multiple exposures together in a panorama.
>
> Put the 50mm prime on your camera, mount it on the tripod in vertical
> orientation and when you take a bunch of photos and stitch them together, you
> even get higher resolution than you would with a wide angle lens.  If you
> want to go all out, you calculate the nodal point, bend some steel into a 90
> degree bracket, drill a hole at the nodal point, buy a 1/4-20 nut and you are
> golden.
>
> Mount it on the K100, and you get landscapes with the colors of the K100
> sensor, the field of view of a wide angle, and better resolution than the K-5.

Frankly, if that was my strategy for getting ultrawide shots, I think
I'd miss more than I got.

- In some cases, because the circumstances (weather, light) change
before I can get everything set up and execute the panorama
- In other cases, because I'm disinclined or prohibited from carrying
a tripod where I'm going
- In other cases, because I'm not sufficiently "sold" on a shot (in
advance) to go through the effort