on 2012-08-21 7:54 Larry Colen wrote
I didn't say that it was the best way, I just said that it was the cheapest way.

actually, the cheapest way is to stitch hand-held shots; it works pretty well if you practice a little; pano software can compensate for a lot; i've only done a few of these, but here's my best effort yet, a 360-degree panorama taken with K200d and 16-45 at 16mm (landscape orientation); i would have loved to spend a day shooting with better equipment, but i shot this in 70 seconds during a short pause in a long hike, nine overlapping exposures in one take; i stitched with Hugin after basic adjustments in Aperture:

<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/az0pvpwgc5u2sda/PoL8ruqA-A#f:needlespano-500.jpg>

most important is to use the same exposure for each shot, and find reference points to keep your place both vertically and horizontally (and keep your camera level); also allow a fair amount of overlap

from this experience i think a 20-24mm prime lens in portrait orientation would do better (at the expense of more shots, and more care needed to do it hand-held); i also learned that panoramic scenes tend to have a lot of dynamic range — i shot this at f/9, 1/640, ISO 200, but i should have used ISO 100 (and a K-5 would be a better tool for this scene)