On Nov 1, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Matthew Hunt wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>
>> So you do understand that if PRIC needs to start from a clean slate on a
>> project, it's going to take a while to get the job done?  And that in the
>> mean time if they can address some of the key problems with the K5 without
>> taking too much from bigger projects that's a lot better than no
>> improvements at all?
>
> I, for one, see your point here, but one of my big frustrations with
> the K-5 II announcement was that they didn't bring the K-30's video
> improvements, including focus peaking, to the K-5 II. I thought that
> was the kind of incremental improvement that was a no-brainer, using
> technology that already exists in the product line.

That boggles me too.  If the K-5 II had those improvements I'd be seriously
looking to see what I could do to raise the money.

Maybe the K-5 processor doesn't have the horsepower to run the code, or some
needed instructions on chip.  Or maybe the code is tied in to other features on
the K30s shutter mechanism so that porting it to the K-5 would take a lot more
work than we think it should, looking at it from the outside.  I wish they'd
open up the firmware for hacking, and all that stuff would be available.
Though that would have disadvantages to Pentax not only for support, but from
people not wanting to upgrade to new hardware when they can get a lot of the
improvements in software.