From: Larry Colen

On Nov 1, 2012, at 11:25 AM, John Sessoms wrote:

What, specifically, are you looking for in a DSLR?  Other than that
it costs less than $800?  In bright light it's pretty hard to see any
effective difference in image quality of just about any DSLR this
side of the K100.

What I want is to buy a camera (if/when one ever comes along) that
offers me sufficient improvement over what I have now to be worth the
price - whatever that price might be. I hope that camera will be offered
by Pentax.

K-5 ain't it.

I am rather puzzled by this.  I can't think of a single category in
which the K-5 isn't overall a huge improvement over the K20, unless
you happen to prefer the way the larger K20 fits in your hand. What
improvements are you looking for? How much are you willing to pay? I
just find it hard to believe that anyone who has used both a K-5 and
a K20 doesn't think that it's a huge improvement.

Though seriously, if your primary concern is amount of improvement
for your dollar, pick up a used K-r.  The only major advantages that
the K20 has over it are weather sealing and user interface features
(two dial wheels etc.), in just about every aspect of performance,
the K-r vastly outperforms the K20.  The K-x does as well, but the
K-r has better performance, better features and can be picked up
almost as cheaply.

If you aren't in the market for a camera, there is no crime in that.
I was responding to someone's message (at this point I don't remember
who, my reply in this thread was to Colin) who had the tone that they
wanted a new camera, but that the K-5 isn't good enough, when to my
mind, the K-5 is the first DSLR Pentax has made that has been "good
enough", that although I want improvements, I don't feel the *need*
for better performance.

I have a camera that I manage to use to meet my photographic needs. I
have to work a little harder sometimes to do what I want, but so far
nothing I have wanted to do has proved impossible with the K20D.

If Pentax were to offer a new model that was ENOUGH of an improvement
over my K20D, I would probably buy one even at a $1200 - $1500 dollar
price. If it was a REALLY BIG improvement in terms of giving me
something I found valuable, I might be willing to pay more than that.

I just thought of an automotive analogy for you.

I've had my car for about three and a half years now & I only have 5
payments left. It get 28 mpg.

The dealer I bought it from wants me to trade it in now for a new car
that gets 29 mpg, but would obligate me to another 60 months of car payments.

For me, buying a K-5 is taking on another 60 months of car payments to
get only a 1 mpg improvement in my gas mileage.