From: Alexandru-Cristian Sarbu

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
From: Alexandru-Cristian Sarbu

The K-5's 16MP Sony sensor is a huge improvement over the 14MP Samsung
one. With the K20D, details in shadows were pretty much covered by
huge amounts of noise; with the K-5, one can easily recover images
underexposed by several stops.
And you're getting not only a new sensor; but also a 100% viewfinder,
much quieter shutter/mirror and many other things.

So?

If the K-5 has enough improvement for you to want to cough up $1200, I'm
not stopping you.

John, I'm afraid I don't really understand your point.
Is the $1200 price justified? I believe so (let's not forget this is
MSRP, and will decrease in time).
Is the camera significantly improved, compared with e.g. K20D? Yes, definitely.
Do we have to / should we upgrade? Not necessarily. But even if we're
satisfied with our old cameras, we shouldn't claim the new ones are
not improved.

The price is justified if the camera offers you sufficient value to
induce you to buy it. I think the K-5 looks like a really great FIRST
Pentax DSLR.

In my case, taking into account the equipment I already have and what
that equipment does for me, the price is justified if the new camera
offers enough improvement over what I already have to induce me to buy it.

I understand how wonderfully better the K-5 is than the K20D I have now.
I understand all the groovy things the K-5 can do that I can't do with
the K20D.

I never claimed the camera has not been improved. I said it does not
offer *ENOUGH* improvement for me to want one.

The incremental increase in pixel count & the better auto-focus with
lenses I don't have and am not going to buy don't impress me. Nor the
other "improvements". The weather resistance would be nice to have but
by itself does not add enough value to make me want it.

What will be enough to make me buy a new camera?

I don't know. I can't really tell you. I'll let you know when I find one.

The K-5 ain't it.