Those storm shots are delicious, Darren. I'd like to have the equivalent of a 21mm in 35mm film camera terms. but wow, are those expensive.

ann

On 2/15/2013 10:17, Darren Addy wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:
Again, when would you use that instead of e.g. a 14mm?  I'm looking for
specific use-cases, particularly from people who use both zooms and
primes.

This is as silly a question as it would be to ask why you would use
14mm when your kit lens already goes to 18mm. Significant difference
between 10mm and 14mm (or 15mm and 21mm in effective FOV).

The Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 is an *essential* lens in my kit and I
generally use it as wide as it will go for my cloud/storm/weather
shots. I desperately wish that I would have had it back in 2009 when
the widest I could get was 18mm for this amazing supercell:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelsmithy/3606977989/in/photostream/lightbox/
(just noticed that I have at least one sensor spot to clean up on that image).