On 16 February 2013 01:52, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013, Rob Studdert wrote:

>> When it's a 10-20mm zoom perhaps?
>
> Again, when would you use that instead of e.g. a 14mm?  I'm looking for
> specific use-cases, particularly from people who use both zooms and
> primes.

Well in my case I own many primes and zooms covering the same focal
lengths, what determines the lens that I turn to for any particular
shoot or event is a function of many factors. In its simplest form If
I need flexibility in framing and the ability to change the FL fast
and if the slight loss of speed wont pose a problem due to slower
shutter speeds and if I don't need absolute premium image quality then
I'll reach for the zoom. If I can handle the weight and I a fixed FL
isn't an issue and I want to optimize IQ then I'll often consider a
prime. Of course this is very general, there are many other factors to
consider such as AF speed, propensity to flare, sensitivity to
blooming, CA characteristics, contrast, edge performance, geometric
distortion. It's a complex issue and the only way to keep it simple I
guess is to not buy lenses with overlapping FL and just learn to deal
with each lenses particular limitations.

Specifically in the case that I mentioned my 10-20/3.5 zoom is
actually a bit smaller and lighter than my FF 14/2.8 lens but both
have their good and bad points so for now I will keep both.

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours