Subject: RE: Carrying a camera on a long walk

I learned in Alaska to never change lenses when travelling. My K100D had
sensor crap for months. I now exclusively use 18-250 on both our cameras for
travels. The hassle of cleaning sensors in the evening is not worth it to
me.

On our recent trip to Indonesia etc we had lots of rain. Our lenses are not WR but a bit of caution in downpours meant that we still got photos, but no water inside. Unless it is actually pouring, I wouldn't agonize to much over
WR.

Gerrit

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Aahz Maruch
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:59 PM
To: pdml@pdml.net

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013, steve harley wrote:
on 2013-08-08 9:33 Aahz Maruch wrote

I did have the 16-50 in my case, but it was drizzling at the start,
and partway through the walk I decided to just make it a one-lens
exercise.
(Sure was glad to have WR lens!)

did you mean DA 16-45? DA* 16-50 is sealed, even though it doesn't
have "WR" in the name

Absolutely!  I used it in a light rain a few days earlier.  But the camera
is *NOT* sealed while you're changing lenses... (Perhaps I was being a bit
overcautious, but I'm not always sure-fingered and this was a rental
camera/lens.)

Side note: that light rain with the 16-50 taught me another reason why
really it's a Good Idea to use a lens hood.  Lens spots in those pics are
fortunately not toooo visible (and lend a bit of atmosphere to some).
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
http://rule6.info/