Hi Bruce -

In general we don't work too differently. Yes, I'm controlling two
lights.  With Pentax I only had a single control.  I tried using the
contrast control mode with a second flash.  It worked, but never i
really got it to work well enough.  But still, It was usable if you
have a lot of patience.  I think the Pentax flash system is a good way
to get started, but it's more limited than the Nikon.

Since then I switched over to the Nikon world for this type of
photography.  Nikon does a better job of letting you control multiple
flashes.  With the just the body you can control two independent
groups of lights in the range from -3 to +1.  Then, once you are happy
with the lighting ratio, you can increase or decrease all of the
groups at the same time with flash exposure compensation.  Added to
that, the regular exposure compensation will change all of the
lighting groups together, including ambient.

There are enough controls so you can get yourself thoroughly confused
if you're not careful. If you want to control 3 groups at the same
time you have to add the SU-800 controller for about $250 or so. I
haven't had the need to do that.  I'm only using two flashes.  If I
need a third light for a hair light or background light I have a
couple of really cheap LCD panels that have worked OK so far.  Every
so often I wish for a remote control on the hair light, but not often
enough to spend money on it.

That's a great idea about adding modelling lights with cheap LCD
panels and multiple hot shoes.  You can find the panels really cheap
if you don't care about how well the color is controlled.

I've learned that lighting adds an entirely new dimension to spending
money on photography.  There are more lighting accessories and
modifiers than you can shake a stick at.  I've been attempting to keep
my kit as simple as possible.  As I get older I want to carry as
little as possible to a shooting location.

gs
George Sinos
www.GeorgesPhotos.net
www.GeorgeSinos.com