On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 03:46:05PM -0500, George Sinos wrote:
>> Hi Bruce -
>>

>> There are enough controls so you can get yourself thoroughly confused
>> if you're not careful. If you want to control 3 groups at the same
>> time you have to add the SU-800 controller for about $250 or so. I
>> haven't had the need to do that.  I'm only using two flashes.  If I
>> need a third light for a hair light or background light I have a
>> couple of really cheap LCD panels that have worked OK so far.  Every
>> so often I wish for a remote control on the hair light, but not often
>> enough to spend money on it.
>
> This is why I want my flashes to be controlled vi wifi, and with
> an app for my phone/tablet/computer where I can simply and easily
> see and control everything from one place.

WiFi would add needless baggage; both ends (Tx/Rx) would have to
implement a TCP/IP stack for starters.

But no need, the basic signalling that the various radio triggers
employ can (and does) easily support a command channel. PocketWizard
already supports multichannels and groups and if you have the dough
that's the way to go to get on-off control right from on top of the
camera. Unfortunately there's no easy way to get more control of
speedlights at the shoe, so controlling light output is yet to happen.

I've used the radio trigger/controller that comes with Elinchrom
studio strobes and it's really nice. Even nicer are the Profoto units.
Full control of all functions of all your lights from the transmitter
on the camera's shoe.

Somebody who makes speedlights should team up with PocketWizard and
implement full remote control. That would sell like crazy.

--
-bmw