AWB will evaluate and adjust the wb setting each time an exposure is made. They
means if you're shooting a lot of exposures around a variety of subtly
different light conditions, each will vary a little bit from the others. Each
frame needs to be adjusted individually.

Setting any fixed WB setting will hold that setting throughout your shooting.
It might not be optimal for the lighting condition, but if the light is similar
through most of the shoot, one adjustment can be used for most or all of the
exposures.

Godfrey