White balance has to do with matching the colour response of your
editing software with the colour temperature of the dominant light
source in your scene. You need to know that the usual light source
suspects all give off light of different hues, based on their native
colour temperature. For example:

tungsten (incandescent): 2800 degrees Kelvin
cool white fluorescent: 5000K
daylight, flash: 5500K
overcast: 6500K

and so on. The reason you have a number of choices of fluorescent is
because there are so many different colour balanced fluorescents
available (daylight, cool, warm).

To set the white balance, which corrects for the colour temperature,
you would find a neutral colour in the scene, like the white shirt of
the boy on the right, and use the eyedropper tool in the Develop
module. Just click on the neutral colour and the WB shifts
immediately.

What can throw off things is when you have two dominant light sources
of differing colour temperatures. In your scene you have daylight from
the windows and overhead fluorescent competing. But I think the
fluorescents are likely "daylight balanced" so probably close enough
to the window light so as not to matter too much. As the afternoon
wears on though the daylight colour temp shifts and the issue becomes
a bigger problem. In your version of Lightroom you can use the
adjustment brush to paint in colour temperature shifts where needed or
a gradient filter to cause a gradual shift over the scene.

To make sure you have a neutral colour to sample you can being a good
grey card along to shoot in the scene. The colour checker that Godfrey
mentioned is the extra fancy version of that that allows very fine
adjustments for the whole spectrum. Great for studio shooting (product
and fashion) but overkill for most needs.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

--
-bmw