Yeah, a grey card isn't the best solution ever, but it sure beats
hoping that the white shirt you are trying to get a WB reading off of
is really a good white and won't color cast the picture itself. In
desperation it works better than nothing, but a grey card will at
least give you a mostly consistent WB source. I've used the x-rite one
before that is huge and found it to not be 100% pure grey. I don't
know if it picked up a color cast in the studio under tungsten lights
over time or not, but it's still pretty darned close. The best neutral
grey I've seen is the color munki's camera calibration swatch. Those
grey patches are pretty reliable. The color munki software makes
better profiles with their target than adobe's dng profile creator
too, for those that have a colormunki and create their own profiles.