As another who's had cataract surgery, I completely understand the arm
length conundrum. The surgeon and I compromised; the right eye can
focus @ about 18 inches, but it's not enough to mess around with
camera displays or tiny fonts.

I've found some non-prescription readers by Foster Grant that are
meant to help with reading, using a computer and looking at someone
across the desk. They help with the eye fatigue and eyeglass
switching. My husband purchased some, too, so mine are safe.

Yonnie