I haven't had any surgery, but am near-sighted.  I have contacts that are set
up in a monovision approach much like what your surgeoon did.  So one eye sees
close and one far.  But the close is not good for detailed chimping or detailed
use of a smartphone or tablet.  So I end up with a pair of reading glasses
hanging around my neck.  So the problem becomes with photography one of having
to take the glasses off to see through the viewfinder and then having to put
them on to really examine the playback screen.  The on/off on/off came become
tedious.  It would be easier to always have them on or always have them off.
This is leading me towards not using the viewfinder or not using the playback
screen.  When shooting fast moving things - especially sports, it is not too
bad because I don't have time to chimp much.  But when doing more slow,
deliberate work, this becomes bothersome.  At this stage, I am doing less and
less of the sports stuff and more and more of the deliberate stuff.
In trying to use my K5iis in live view, I find it to be a bit clumsy and
frustrating dealing with focus and the general ease of use.

I guess the real fix to this is to just grow longer arms!

--
Bruce