We were talking about protesters and anti-fur, but you correctly surmise that I
am sympathetic to their cause. And yes, many of the protesters we met on Sunday
are vegans, some of whom we've met at vegan events.

We've discussed my dietary veganism before, and while there are no "rules",
ethical vegans normally take the position that it is wrong to exploit animals.
For that reason we do not knowingly consume animal products, and that extends
beyond diet. I do not want to use any product that came from an animal: that
includes leather, wool, silk, etc. It gets tricky because some glues have
animal products. Some beer has fish - derived isinglas  (a foaming agent).
Sometimes one really has to research to make sure they are not unwittingly
exploiting animals.

As for my shoes, I mostly wear canvas running shoes (Converse Chuck Taylor's to
be exact) and my dress shoes are synthetic that have the look (but not cruelty)
of leather.

Thanks for asking.

And by "native" we were referring to North America's First Nations people , the
descendants of those who greeted the first Europeans when they arrived here. We
used to call them "Indians" because many early explorers were geographically
challenged. That term is no longer used as we now reserve it for those who are
actually from the country India.

Cheers,

frank

--

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -- Henri Cartier-Bresson