Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@mac.com> wrote:

>Leaving the aperture simulator off probably leads to some lens sales,
>as it makes using the K and M versions somewhat cumbersome, thereby
>encouraging upgrades.  On the other hand, I don’t think a lot of
>users care. In my opinion, the camera works fine without it.

Only a tiny minority of Pentax shooters care about the mechanical
aperture-position sensor (and I suspect they're all old curmudgeons on
the PDML!) which, after all, is only needed for lenses made between
1975 and 1982 – a small fraction of the K-mount's 40+ year history.
According to Don Nelson it added too much to the cost of camera
manufacture, both in parts and assembly (and now it would also
necessitate re-writing lots of computer code because none of Pentax's
DSLRs have provision for reading/using data from the potentiometer).