John wrote:
On 8/18/2016 1:02 AM, Larry Colen wrote:

Larry Colen wrote:

And for the record, I'm no Microsoft fanboy, I will voluntarily use a
mac. I've bought one computer that came with Windows that I did not
convert to Linux. But, when I bought that laptop sometime around 1991, I
don't think that there was anyone using Linux that wasn't named Linus.
The best reasons to use Windows are about the same as to use a Canon,
they are like assholes, everybody seems to have one. Some might argue
that they share another trait with assholes, but I'll pretend that this
is a family friendly forum and leave that as an exercise for the student.

The only advantage of Windoze that I can see is it will install & run on
just about anything, which means you don't need a PHD in computer
science & 20 years programming experience to build a computer that you
can use to get things done.

That ease with which Windoze can be implemented on COTS hardware is why
I've been running Windoze all these years, instead of learning Linux.
And that's why I'm so pissed off at Micro$oft lately, because they broke
that with Windoze10 and they don't care.

I have built several machines over the years as dual boot because I thought I might need to run Windows at some point. While at one point, building a machine to run Linux did require a fair amount of careful work and pre-planning, recently Linux has tremendously improved in that area. I suspect that part of it is that is because I have heard that a lot of hardware developers do their development on Linux systems first, then write the Windows drivers. I have had several cases where installing Linux on a home built system "just worked" and installing Windows was a real PiTA.

It has also been my personal experience that if I want to "just get things done", most of the time Linux boxes work that way from installation, whereas it takes quite a bit of work installing usable editors, compilers, cygwin and other tools on Windows machines.

> I'm not anti-Mac either as such. But they cost more than building your
> own.

For a long time, Mac and Windows machines of similar performance didn't have that huge of a price differential. Particularly if you bypassed the Apple tax on memory and drives, bought the system with minimal memory and drive and upgraded it yourself. Lately, Apple has completely abandoned anyone who wants anything but the slimmest, lightest, daintiest machine, particularly in the field of expandability.

Thanks to Nicole, I was able to score on a used Mac Pro and upgrade it to the level of internal storage I need for my usage. I was expecting that I would need to switch to Windows for photo processing. It will be interesting to see what happens at the next upgrade. Apple doesn't make any systems with the expandability I need/want, at least without spending as much on an external drive system as I would on a Linux box, and Microsoft seems to have installed a suck dial that goes to 11.

I would not be surprised that if in a couple years, I'll need to abandon Adobe as my primary processing software, and find something that works on Linux.