On 8/18/2016 3:01 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

John wrote:
On 8/18/2016 1:02 AM, Larry Colen wrote:

The only advantage of Windoze that I can see is it will install & run on
just about anything, which means you don't need a PHD in computer
science & 20 years programming experience to build a computer that you
can use to get things done.

That ease with which Windoze can be implemented on COTS hardware is why
I've been running Windoze all these years, instead of learning Linux.
And that's why I'm so pissed off at Micro$oft lately, because they broke
that with Windoze10 and they don't care.

I have built several machines over the years as dual boot because I
thought I might need to run Windows at some point.  While at one point,
building a machine to run Linux did require a fair amount of careful
work and pre-planning, recently Linux has tremendously improved in that
area. I suspect that part of it is that is because I have heard that a
lot of hardware developers do their development on Linux systems first,
then write the Windows drivers. I have had several cases where
installing Linux on a home built system "just worked" and installing
Windows was a real PiTA.

It has also been my personal experience that if I want to "just get
things done", most of the time Linux boxes work that way from
installation, whereas it takes quite a bit of work installing usable
editors, compilers, cygwin and other tools on Windows machines.

Different level of "just get things done" there.

I don't need a bunch programmer's tools. I need Open Office, a Mozilla
browser & Thunderbird plus whatever level of image editing tools.

This system is general use, internet & film scanning. My other system is
built specifically to make PhotoShop scream and I don't have anything on
it that doesn't enhance PhotoShop.

I'm not anti-Mac either as such. But they cost more than building your
own.

For a long time, Mac and Windows machines of similar performance didn't
have that huge of a price differential. Particularly if you bypassed the
Apple tax on memory and drives, bought the system with minimal memory
and drive and upgraded it yourself. Lately, Apple has completely
abandoned anyone who wants anything but the slimmest, lightest,
daintiest machine, particularly in the field of expandability.

The similarity in cost/performance between Mac and Windoze systems holds
true for PRE-built systems; if you just want to go to the store and buy
a system, bring it home, unbox it & turn it on. And the "roll your own"
to get a lot more computer for a given dollar strategy worked against
PRE-built Windoze systems the same as it did against Mac systems.

Apple's current direction only increases the cost savings advantage of
"roll your own" against Mac systems. The advantage over PRE-built
Windoze systems has only increased a small amount in comparison.

There are plenty of PRE-built Windoze systems that match Mac in terms of
"slimmest, lightest, daintiest" and lack of expandability. For a given
price point it seems like the only major difference is the Macs are all
i5 processors and the Windoze machines are all i7 processors. Although,
you can still buy Windoze gaming systems that have a DVD/Blu-ray drive
standard.

I can build my own, save a lot of money, get a lot more performance than
either a Mac OR a PRE-built Windoze will offer, and I can install
Windoze on it. Microsoft won't care.

Installing Mac OS on a "roll your own" system - Hackentosh not
withstanding - is just not on.