Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
On Aug 17, 2016, at 10:02 PM, Larry Colen<l...@red4est.com>  wrote:

...No matter what operating system you use, it is going to suck. ...

I guess it's no wonder that you're not an operating system designer or
implementor, eh?

The only OS that I wrote from the metal up might be more accurately termed a Real Time executive, and the work that I did on the Linux Kernel was for a project at Counterpane, and never released into the kernel. So, other than multi-processor OS that I did for my senior project, I guess I've only worked on one hypervisor rather than an OS. But, since I'm not currently employed to design and write operating systems, I guess your right, I'm not. However, if I were an operating system designer or implementor, I'd have an idea of how much better things could work, and would be annoyed at all of the ways that they aren't as good as they could be.

I don't find that operating systems universally suck at all. Most seem to do a
pretty decent job, actually, when it comes to doing what they're supposed to
do: interact with the hardware to provide system boot up, support device
interactions, handle requests for volatile memory and storage as needed, and
partition CPU and other resources for shared use. While rarely perfect, any
modern OS is generally pretty solid and reliable 99.999999% of the time.

There is the big question of where you draw the boundary around the OS. We are in violent agreement on that one, and I'll spare you my rant on "The UI is not the OS". These days, for many people, they seem to draw it so it includes the UI as well.

The presentation layers and apps that live on top of the OS services are far
more fraught, but they're not the OS. That is the issue brought up by the OP
for this thread.

And, that is the bit that I was mostly addressing.

Whether you want your control interface to be lexical or graphical in nature is
a debate that's been going on for forty-plus years. Little as I have to add to
either side of that debate, it seems that the general opinion of the majority
of users is fairly clear.

In much the same way that McDonalds has sold billions of hamburgers, or iPhones take better photos than Leicas. I will not deny that if you are doing very simple tasks, a point and drool interface can be more convenient than a command line. However, if you want to do anything at all complicated, or different than the designers considered, a lexical interface is a lot more powerful. Somehow I don't think that you are writing your replies by pointing at pictures and dragging them onto the page.

   LRC