Hi Ed ...

>From the replies I've read everyone seems to be suggesting another lens
of one sort or another.  I'd suggest not getting another lens, at least
right away.  One suggestion that's often made when it comes to learning
about photography is to learn to use one lens well, to be able to
exploit it's character and focal length to the fullest capacity.  The
50mm is a great "starter" lens, and many wonderful photos can be made
using just it.

I'd suggest that she stay with the 28mm/50mm combination for a while,
see how she develops creatively, and let her decide what she wants as
the next lens.  She may decide she wants to go with a wide lens, or a
longer lens than something in the 85mm - 135mm range.

That said, if you feel you must get her another lens, I'd suggest
something like the 100mm /2.8, and to stick with a Pentax lens.  First,
all the lenses would operate the same way, they'd turn in the same
direction for focusing, and have similar "feel" to them.  Let her
concentrate on photography rather than the mechanics of the lenses.  The
Pentax 100/2.8 is also relatively small and light, which makes for a
better, easier handling package on the camera she has.  Some of the
other lenses mentioned are bigger and heavier, and even the Pentax 135mm
is starting to get a little bulky.

I'd not suggest a zoom at all.

--
Shel Belinkoff