In <003001c1fa36$8a17ad30$1502a8c0@rappr>, on 05/13/02
   at 02:26 PM, Bob Rapp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

|>Your legs are "painted on" and don't want to walk closer.

I really have an hard time understanding how this canard got started
much less gets repeated.  Walking is not the same as zooming.
Perspective changes,  subjects escape,  proximity offends, bridges and
sheer drops do not permit getting closer even if they were equivalent.

|>As a stop-gap until you can afford primes.

sure lets shoot that scene off the end of the dock with an 85mm prime
then switch to a 150 for a detail and then switch to that 300 for
another more distant detail.  Primes have advantages but stacking them
up as a replacement for a zoom is not among them just as zooms have
their very real place in the tool kit but an f3.5 zoom at 50mm is no
replacement for an f1.4 50mm.

differing philosophies but more agree with you than with me.

Bran