On 5/11/16, Bruce Walker, discombobulated, unleashed:

>So what I'd like is pocketable and with the "feel" of an old school
>film camera. That is, simple ergonomics. Simple interface, with
>buttons and dials for the important most-used functions.

If you're considering Leicas then, I might have gotten the wrong end of
the stick.

I assumed you were looking for something genuinely pocketable. My
definition of pocketable is the rear pocket on a pair of Levis. YMMV.

I can squeeze the X20 (with it's easily understood and used UI - by me
at any rate) into my Levis at a push. I wouldn't sit down though.

It will easily fit in any jacket or coat pocket, lens retracted and
powered down.

I dare say a Leica will as well - but I defy you to get a Leica M Typ
26anything into a pair of Levis - with lens attached....

Finally, a quick shout out for another camera that will easily satisfy
your requirements - although (like the Leica) will not fit in a pair of
Levis with a lens attached) - the Olympus Pen F.

Micro Four Thirds, so a large range of lenses available - including some
manual Voigtlander f/0.95 lenses (1 in your range) - as well as a number
of adapters for legacy lenses like Pentax.

My entire camera bag now consists of a Fuji X20 (zoom range equiv of
28-112), Olympus Pen F, Samyang 12/2 (24 equiv), Pentax 24/2.8 (48
equiv), Pentax 50/1.4 (100 equiv) and Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 macro (180 equiv).

That's all I've got. I have plans to replace some of the lenses with
Voigtlanders eventually, but I love the simplicity of this kit, and both
cameras tick the bill regarding old school feel. The Oly is an extremely
capable camera with large pixel count and 5 axis IS etc - so quite a
machine. Again, if `I have to take one in a pocket, it's the Fuji X20
every time.

My advice: buy an X20 for under 400 bucks as you mentioned. If you can't
get on with it, eBay it back into the system and put some wedge into a
Leica system. If you've got the funds, go for it.

I find the Leicas simply too big. And the X-Pro 1 and 2. Too big for
what I wanted. LOVE the X100T but restricted by lens for what I wanted to do.

That's why I got the Olympus.

Cheers!

--

Cheers,