On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Bob W-PDML <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

> Yes, it's 35mm equivalent. I have a Fuji X100, which was the first generation
> of that series. It's a nice camera, but my X20 sees far more use, and I may
> sell the X100 to fund my French bicycle habit.
>
> These two Fujis are not, in my opinion, simple to use. The menus and user
> interface are a mess. It's all to easy to change settings inadvertently,
> without any warning, and I find it really confusing and difficult to restore
> them to what I like. They are also not good for manual focusing because
> although you can do it, there is no indication in the optical finder of what
> you're focused on. On the X20 you can do focus peaking in the optical finder,
> but to get it you have to do without other settings (or absence of) which I
> find useful.
>
> Overall it is compromised in my opinion by its excessive complexity and its
> attempt to do everything. They need me to tell them what it should be like.
>
> You can shoot some lovely black and white though, when you set it up right.

I am both heartened and disheartened to hear this. I really dislike a
cranky UI, especially one that encourages random changes that are hard
to restore.

> What Bruce really wants, deep in his heart of hearts, is a Leica M typ 262.
> He should bite the bullet, and go out and buy one. And some lenses too.

You know something crazy? I see that you are right. The Leica is just
about perfect for what I'm looking for, size and price aside.

I gently approached this concept with my wife this morning during our
dog walk. I said, "it's a bit pricey." She said, "oh, what, like 600
dollars?". I admitted that no, it's actually six thousand dollars.

She did not hit me with a blunt object, so I took that as a positive
sign. I haven't mentioned lenses yet.

--
-bmw