> On Nov 7, 2016, at 11:46 AM, Bob W-PDML <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
>
> On 7 Nov 2016, at 19:04, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com
> <mailto:bruce.wal...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> What Bruce really wants, deep in his heart of hearts, is a Leica M typ 262.
>>> He should bite the bullet, and go out and buy one. And some lenses too.
>>
>> You know something crazy? I see that you are right. The Leica is just
>> about perfect for what I'm looking for, size and price aside.
>>
> I suspect the target market for the Fujis is largely made up of Leica
> wannabes and Olympus Trip has-beens. Problem is, they don't fully deliver on
> their promise. At least, not to me. The key thing about the Leicas is
> simplicity; not getting in the way, as Godfrey puts it.

There is no digital camera simpler and more akin to the film camera experience
than a Leica M-D (typ 262). The only settings it has other than ISO, focus,
shutter time, and aperture are for the clock. There's no LCD … and it feels
substantively smaller than any of the other digital Ms without it. It captures
only raw files so just like with film, everything past the capture is done in
processing and rendering the photo. The M-D gets out of the way instantly, it
returns you to a time before digital, before chimping, before user settings and
multi-mode this and that. Yet brings you all the advantages of a digital sensor
without the disadvantages.

I absolutely adore this camera.

My bag has in it the M-D, a 1972 Summilux 35 that's been coded so the camera
recognizes it, a Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4. Perfect setup for 99% of my shooting.
Sometimes I swap those two lenses out for a Color Skopar 28/3.5 and a Color
Skopar 50/2.5. These work well asides from color shading issues; I render only
to B&W with them. There's plenty more space in the bag … it's a Tenba DNA8 …
and it could easily fit the camera and all four of those lenses, plus an iPad
mini. One charge on the battery is good for 500-700 exposures; a 16G card is
good for around 800 exposures. Good match. And the default rendering of the DNG
files in Lightroom has that beautiful feel of a Leica film camera exposure.

If you want a digital camera that gives you as close to the film experience as
you can get, this is the one. Yes, it costs a bit; no, it won't fit in your
pocket. It's worth it.