SO I just spent a bit of time this morning finding the locations in the article.  all but two of them... I suspect Freeman didn't just happen on some these particular places.
google ye selves and you'll see what I mean...

The Mohawk Theatre  -  North Adams, Massachusetts
McManus Pharmacy -  Nyack, New York  (Edward Hopper's birthplace and boyhood home )
The Barber Shop and Supply at 140 Main - Nyack, New York
Ramsey Movie Theatre is in Ramsey, New Jersey (even has a web page!)
Sam's Too Shoe Center is in Brattleboro, Vermont (locally famous and loved)

Mt Carmel Trust and Savings, -  Mt. Carmel Illinois
Mom's Cafe  is in Salina, Utah (googled Mom's cafe on state street and got there in a flash)

If anyone can read more signage that I could in the one with the Vintage sign on the thrift store or the writing on the post office "S.... Mountain" I bet I
can locate those as well.