Bruce wrote:

>The support/marketing for the pro
> world also has to be in place.

I believe this argument is mostly a red herring. Unless you're shooting at the
Olympics special pro service hardly exist. All manufacturers makes special
arrangements for pros. Pentax MF shooters get equally good service as Canon pro
shooters.

>The best we can hope for is a trickle down from DSLR
> development to be used in the film cameras.  I don't expect any more
> major SLR developments from Nikon/Canon that aren't digital.

This may seem like rational argument but I'm not sure this is the case. The digital
market is a loss leader at present and prospects for the future says it will continue
that way. The reason is the products short lifespan, high developing costs, continued
price pressure and  (digital) technology race. The camera manufacturers are worried
because the digital "revolution" take sales away from profitable products to
lossleading products. It also take developing money from potentially profitable
products into digital where they cannot expect to get their money back. Nikon, in
particular, is worried because allthough they may be leader in digital slr's, they
loose sales in their traditional stronghold area; the upmarket 35mm slr. This is
indeed a nightmare like situation. The camera manufactures and the film industry don't
really want you to buy a digital camera! Both industries claims that film will be
around for long and companies like Fuji are continuing developing new films.
As the situation is now, digital camera get technology, often old and cheap, from 35mm
film slr's. It's likely that it will continue this way.

Pål