On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, William Robb wrote:

> Pentax as a brand has always been an enthusiast/ hobbiest brand,
> at least here in North America, since the Korean War.

This is certainly not true for the UK at least. For example, recently UK
tv showed a documentary titled 'The Real Blow Up' (did anyone see it
guys?) about the photographers that inspired the 60's film 'Blow Up',
particularly David Bailey, Brian Duffy and Terence Donovan. At one point
Donovan was being interviewed circa 1969 about how 'hard' it was to be a
pro photographer and he said (I'm paraphrasing here) '... all you need to
be a photographer is to go out and buy yourself a Pentax...'. The
implication being that a) he didn't consider what he did very difficult
and b) Pentax was good enough for a very highly-paid professional as late
as 1969.

But William, although I am no expert on trends in the USA, surely if your
cut-off date for 'professional desireablility' (whatever that might be) is
the Korean War you're are missing all the Spotmatic series cameras when
Pentax was one of the THE brands to be seen with? Now if you'd said the
beginning of the Vietnam War I'd probably be more inclined to agree. In
fact I'd say that the Vietnam War probably did for Nikon (especially) and
Canon the same as what it did for the Bell UH-1 Huey :-)

Chris