>BTW - if Pentax would release a DSLR in the next e.g. 12 months - would
>you change back to Pentax? I assume that it would have similar features
>as the D60 and a higher resolution. Let us also assume, that this
>wouldn't be a financial disaster...;-)

Now this is the 64 million dollar question. Would I change back?

I think the simple answer is not right away, possibly not at all.

When considering digital, I wanted the right hardware at the earliest
opportunity. The D30 was not in that category for me. The D60 or D100
was. Higher resolution for one. For another, it's a couple of generations
down the line. I'm very wary of new technology (surprised?) and very wary
of first generation offerings. Despite Pentax already well advanced with
digital in the guise of the Optio range, a DSLR is not quite the same
thing. One would hope that all the expertise from their traditional SLR
history would marry quite nicely into a DSLR. As a point of principle, I
don't buy first generation anything. I think it's widely accepted that
first generation products are partly tested by the comsumer. Happens in
every form of manufacturing.

If a 2nd or 3rd generation Pentax DSLR met with my requirements, then
yes, I would consider changing back.

But that depends on a lot of things, the largest of which is that I don't
think Pentax will release a 35mm style DSLR now. I think they will wait
and go down an OlyDak type route. They are waiting to see where the 24X36
sensor size will lead...a dead end? The Pro digital market continuing?
The main market?

Food for thought.

Cotty

Free UK Macintosh Classified Ads at