I wrote a letter and got cut off, so a partially written letter may or may also appear
on the list.

I have found the K-1000 good to learn on because I have to do everything myself.
Initially I found this frustrating, but finally I realized it was teaching me things.
I still haven't figured out everything about how shutter speed and aperture settings
interact, but with the Pentax K-1000 I had to think about them a lot. I had to check
my settings and think about my shot and how things would turn out. That has taught me
a lot even if it slowed me down some.

I haven't tried DOF preview, so I don't know how helpful it is, and that is one thing
I ended up wanting. But not having it, I had to guess based on distance and aperture
setting how the background in each picture would look. And I haven't been far off most
of the time.

Basically the Pentax K-1000 is like CAMERA distilled down to the basics. No help
really, just the basic settings and basic information. And that isn't a bad way to
learn.

I've had problems with manual film load, etc. So now I feel I am ready to move up. And
I have bought someone's ZX-5N (from this list -- hasn't arrived yet). (I hope that
acronym is right.) Because I wouldn't want to stay with the Pentax K-1000 forever, I'd
like DOF preview and auto film load. And other features, or at least, try other
features.

I could sell the K-1000 back on ebay and pretty much get what I paid for it. But I am
seriously thinking of keeping it and making it my telephoto camera. Once I get a
telephoto zoom that I like -- just leave it on the camera. Or use it as a backup body,
I mean even if the battery goes out it still works. That could come in very handy on
extended trips.

Doe aka Marnie