Hi Boz...

I'll try to clarify my thoughts on this...

Bojidar Dimitrov wrote:

> Hi Keith,

> > Is that what Boz said? If so, I find myself disagreeing with him
> > for the very first time!

I think you said something like you didn't think much of a K1000.
It's that comment/opinion that surprised me.
But then, I don't know HOW you meant it. As a stand-alone comment, I
disagree with it.

> !!!  In which way do you disagree with me?  The K1000 is not a good
> student camera?

Well, this could be read more than one way:

a) The K1000 is not a good camera, or
b) the K1000 is not a suitable camera for a beginning student of
photography, or
c) the K1000 is not _enough_ camera for the student.

> The K1000 is a better camera as an MX, KX or KM?

Huh? Odd sentence structure there...
Do you mean "...better camera THAN an MX, etc?"

I am not totally familiar with the KX nor the KM, but it's a certainty
that the MX is more capable than any of the Ks as well as the K1000,
and if the student could afford it, it's probably better for him or
her to use. I guess my big thing is, I'd avoid as much 'automation' as
possible. The KM is a very basic camera, as well. Perhaps the KX would
work too.

> > For the same reason a math student is not allowed a calculator in the
> > most basic courses of his or here math study. One must KNOW certain
> > basics, the reason these basics exist and they must be able to derive
> > answers for themselves, using logic and tried and true principals. A
> > calculator bypasses these steps, and as a result cripples the student.
>
> So, you seem to think that the K1000 is a great student camera.

Well, no, maybe not a "great" student camera, but certainly a sturdy,
capable and reliable platform for any of the K-mount lenses, readily
available on the market because of its long production life span, and
it allows the student to practice what he's learned about the
interaction between shutter speeds and apertures, with both of them
fully adjustable. It can function as an aperture preferred or speed
preferred camera, depending on how the student uses it, and I consider
that a good learning experience.
Any camera that will allow that and not do too much FOR the student,
in the beginning, is the better good teaching tool, in my most humble opinion.

> But when that student develops further interest in photography, he will
> want to have viewfinder info, self-timer, interchangeable screen, DOF
> preview, etc.

Of course he will. I also presume those features will cost him more,
and cost is a major consideration for a lot of beginners... If the
idea is to teach the fundamentals of photography, I think the K1000
mounting a 50mm SMC prime can do a very good, reasonably inexpensive
job of it.

I got the idea that you don't agree that the K1000 *is* a good
teaching tool, or that most any other camera would be better for the
newby... It's that opinion with which I disagreed.

> Cheers,
> Boz

keith