On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 02:41  PM, Christian Skofteland wrote:

I'm sure the K1000 is a good basic camera but why do many people think it's a
good "student" camera?

Ok, the student should just be able to see relationship of aperture and
shutter-speed based on movements of the match needle exposure indicator, but
I feel that knowing the actual value is much more helpful to understand the
basics of photography.

k1000 not a good "student" camera? Heresy? My opinion? Give me an MX any
day over a K1000....

Christian

Hi Christian,

My first camera was a K1000. I bought it, a 50mm lens, and a book on photography, all new, for a little less than $150 (I think) back in '81 or '82. I was an art student and thought a camera would be a useful tool (reference photos to work from). I explained what I wanted to the school's photo teacher and he suggested the K1000 saying, "you can't take a better photo with any of the more expensive (Pentax) bodies." The price was right, just barely affordable after paying rent, gas, art supplies, tuition, and food (and in that order <g>).

The K1000 did everything I asked of it with a minimum of fuss and hassle. There were only three things to adjust and one needle to watch, so it was very easy to get a decent photo. The lack of other features was a feature in itself, I think. Less stuff to screw around with, less reasons for poor results.

I didn't find lack of a viewfinder showing aperture or speed a big deal. It was always going to be where I set it last. And it didn't take that long to flip the camera up and check the settings if I wasn't sure I was where I wanted to be.

Would I trade my ZX-5n for a K1000? Hell no. I like the ZX-5n's bells and whistles, I like its size and weight. I even think it looks better than a k1000. Its pricing, used, with regard to the better bodies of its period, is a hoot. You can definitely get more camera for less money. But I don't know if you'll be able to take better pictures with any of them any more easily (as a green student) than you can with the K1000.

YMMV,
Dan Scott